Current Affairs And News Analysis Of July 25
223 anti-dumping probes initiated by India since January 2012
Most of the cases were against China and Indonesia. Product categories on which the levy was imposed include chemicals, fibre boards, glass & glassware, pharmaceuticals and steel.
What is Anti – dumping?
Anti dumping is a measure to rectify the situation arising out of the dumping of goods and its trade distortive effect.
What is purpose of anti dumping?
Establishment of fair trade and protect domestic markets from distortive trade practices.
Is it allowed?
It is allowed by the WTO in order to safegurad local markets. It is levied on distrustfully low-priced imports, so as to protect the domestic manufacturers.
‘SHe-Box’ launched for Reporting sexual harassment at workplace
Central government has launched an online complaint management system called “Sexual Harassment electronic-Box (SHe-Box)’ for registering complaints related to sexual harassment at workplace.
- In intaial phase only for women working in or visiting central government departments.
- Platform for easily file complaints under Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013.
Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013
- India’s first law dealing with the protection of women against sexual harassment at workplace.
- Act covered both the organized and unorganized sectors in India.
- This Act defined ‘sexual harassment’ in line with the Supreme Court’s definition in the Vishaka Judgment
- Introduced the concept of ‘extended workplace’.
- Act provided for the establishment of Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) at each and every office or branches of the organization employing 10 or more employees
- local complaints committee (LCC) at the district level by the Government for organisations where employess are less than 10.
India is fully committed to seal RCEP
India is ‘fully committed’ to taking forward the negotiations for a mega Free Trade Agreement (FTA) called the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), to ensure that it is a ‘balanced’ pact that benefits all the 16 Asia-Pacific nations including itself that are participating in the talks.
About Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP)
- It is a proposed free trade agreement (FTA) between the ten member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- It was formally launched in 2012 at the ASEAN Summit in Cambodia.
- Viewed as an alternative to the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)
Government to go ahead with electoral bonds despite lack of Political consensus
In a major move aimed at promoting transparency in political funding, Finance Minister had in this year’s Budget speech announced capping of anonymous cash donations to political parties at Rs 2,000 and introduced the concept of electoral bonds. The government had also asked political parties to offer a better suggestion on the proposed electoral bond mechanism.
No political party has came up with any suggestion till now so government is planning to go ahed with its own plan.
What are Electoral Bonds?
- The proposed bonds will resemble a promissory note and not an interest-paying debt instrument. They will be sold by authorised banks and can be deposited in notified accounts of political parties within the duration of their validity.
- The bonds will not carry the name of the donor and routing of the money through banks will ensure that only tax paid money comes into the political system.
Important News for The Day
|Ten islands from Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep have been identified by the government for improving maritime economy, preserving the eco-system and addressing security concerns. The decision was taken at the first meeting of the newly- constituted Islands Development Agency (IDA) headed by Union Home Minister.
The islands include Smith, Ross, Aves, Long and Little Andaman in Andaman and Nicobar and Minicoy, Bangaram, Suheli, Cherium and Tinnakara in Lakshadweep.
|Aarambh mobile app
Launched By – Union Ministry of Rural Development
Purpose : performance based maintenance contracting and community contracting for maintenance of rural roads.
|Indian finished at 7th position in the 6th Youth Commonwealth Games 2017 recently concluded in Nassau, Bahamas.Most of the medals won in Tennis. England finshed at top of the table.|