Slow Core Sector, 100 Yrs Of Champaran Satyagrah other News Analysis 01 August
Methanol a clean, cheaper fuel
NITI Aayog told to examine Methanol as an alternative propellant
Import substitution – Methanol economy will help India use its vast reserves of coal while driving import substitution. Research in converting carbon dioxide to methanol is promising and can be a game-changer for methanol economy.
- Stress is on the use of local or indigenous materials for production of fuel like making ethanol from agricultural produce or waste and from coal.
- Ethanol could be made out of coal and pilot project was already underway in Talcher in Odisha
- India imports methanol from Saudi Arabia and Iran at present.
Methanol also known as methyl alcohol CH3OH (often abbreviated MeOH). Methanol acquired the name “wood alcohol” because it was once produced chiefly as a byproduct of the destructive distillation of wood. Today, industrial methanol is produced in a catalytic process directly from carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen.
Core sector growth slows to 0.4% in June
- The year-on-year growth of the core sector has slowed to 0.4% in June from 3.6% in May and 6.92% in June 2016
- The performance in June is the lowest since the growth of 0.18% in November 2015.
- Out of eight core industries comprise 40.27% Coal (6.7%), Petroleum (0.2%), Fertilizer (3.6%), Cement (5.8%) declined while increase in crude oil (0.6%) Natural Gas (6.4%), steel production (5.8%), electricity (0.7%) reported. .
What is index of Industrial Production(IIP)?
The level of the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) represents the status of production in the industrial sector for a given period of time as compared to a reference period of time. The current base year is 2011-2012.
The Eight Core Industries comprise nearly 40.27% of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP). These are Electricity , steel, refinery products, crude oil, coal, cement, natural gas and fertilisers.
24×7 operationalization of Petrapole-Benapole Integrated Check Post
- The Petrapole-Benapole Integrated Check Post is a major route for India-Bangladesh bilateral trade. In order to facilitate movement of cargo across the border, India and Bangladesh have agreed to operate Petrapole-Benapole ICP 24×7, with effect from 01st August 2017.
- Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI) and Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC), the implementing agencies on the Indian side, have issued necessary instructions in this regard.
Where is Petrapole?
Petrapole is the Indian side of Petrapole-Benapole border checkpoint between India and Benapole of Bangladesh, on the Bangladesh-India border, near Bongaon in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal. Petrapole border is the only land port in south Bengal. It is also the largest land customs station in Asia.
Centenary Anniversary of Champaran Satyagrah
- The Government has decided to commemorate centenary of Champaran Satyagraha during April 2017 to April 2018.
- A project for “Development of Gandhi Circuit: Bhitiharwa-Chandrahia-Turkaulia under Rural Circuit theme of Swadesh Darshan Scheme” has been sanctioned in Bihar.
The first Satyagraha movements inspired by Mohandas Gandhi occurred in Champaran district of Bihar and the Kheda district of Gujarat on 1917 to 1918. Champaran Satyagraha was the first to be started, but the word Satyagraha was used for the first time in Anti Rowlatt Act agitation.
Tank Biathlon 2017 in Russia
- The Tank Biathlon commenced with the opening ceremony of International Army Games at Alabino Ranges, Russia on 29 July 2017.
- The Tank Biathlon competition is an international event conducted as part of the International Army Games held every year since 2013 at Alabino Ranges, Russia. International Army Games involve 28 events organised in five Countries i.e. Russia, Belarus, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and China.
- A total of 19 countries including China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Israel & South Africa will showcase their prowess, skills and endurance on the tanks in this prestigious event this year
|Ustad Hussain Sayeeduddin Dagar, maestro and custodian of the venerable Dhrupad tradition of Hindustani classical music and a member of the eminent Dagar family, passed away .|
Daily News Analysis