Facts About Temples of Himachal Pradesh
Temples of Himachal Pradesh
- Pagoda style of temple architecture in H.P. is inherited Nepal
- ‘Nawala’ in Chamba (Gaddi Festivals)- religious tradition Form of Shiva Worship
- Raja Bahadur Singh built pagoda style four-story temple built in 1553 AD.(Hidimba)
- In Manali, Shring Rishi performed a ‘Putra Yagya’ for Raja Dashrath and Lord Rama was born.
- The place observed Prini near Manali is known as Arjun Goofa.
- At Hadimba temple, an annual fair is held which is famous ‘Bahadur Singh Ri Jatra.’
- Manu Rishi, the “creator of human race – According to Hindu Mythology” meditated at old Manali.
- The different parts of Sati-Parvati supposed to have fallen and the temple built there have been named after these body parts: Tongue-Jawalaji, Feet-Chintpurni, Eyes-Naina Devi, Breast-Brajeshwari, and Ears- Shonitpur (Saharan).
- Since Ravana observed Tapasya to please Lord Shiva at Baijnath, therefore Dussehra is not celebrated with much Fanfare at Baijnath.
- In 1930 a Gurudwara at Bilaspur was built by Raja Jogindersen of Mandi to commemorate the visit of” Guru Gobind Singh” to this place.
- Mandi is called ‘Varanasi’ of hills as there are 81 exquisitely carved Temples.
- “Maa Yamuna Bal Park” (Ponta Sahib).here statue of J.Lal Nehru, Y.S.Parmar, Mahatma Gandhi situated.
- A fine replica of the “Sanchi pillar” located in Ponta Sahib.
- Parshuram is an avatar of Lord Vishnu.
- Suket in Mandi is so named because of the meditation and penance performed here by Sukhdev Muni.
- Harman Goetz studies and researched on four old wooden temples of Chamba town and wrote a book ‘Early Wooden Temple of Chamba.’
- The sculptor of the idol of Lakshana Devi, Nandi Bull, and Ganesh made during Maru Varman Period was Gugga.
- Maru Varman established 100 Shiva linga and Shiva Temples at Gun, a place 26 km away from Chamba. The old name of Chamba is Shivapuri.
- Unique and antique group of tall temples which remain dipped in water for almost eight months in a year are located at 3km from Dhameta, a village in Kangra.
- Chhoti Kashi – Nirmand is Also called by the name of Sri Patal.
- Whenever a temple is to be rebuilt or renovated in Himachal Pradesh, a special Kurud ceremony is performed which is known as Shant.
- Shah Talai is 64km from Bilaspur and has the temple of Baba Balaknath, Baba Bhrithari, Guga Chauhan and Nahar Singh on the banks of Saryali Rivulet.
Monasteries and Buddhism in Himachal Pradesh
- Kirat used to live in Lahaul even before the arrival of Tibetans. Kirat used to speak the language of Aryans Lahaul represents the mixture of Buddhism and Pagan Hinduism.
- Padmasambhava has built most of the monasteries in Lahaul.
- 12,000 Shlokas are recited during Kalachakra ceremony of Bodh
- Francke, Tucci Snellgrove are the scholars having done major research work on monasteries of Spiti.
- Lahaul Valley has about 29 monasteries belonging to Durg –pa –sect or red hats
- Chortens are the sacred oblique like religious structures of Vryjyana Buddhism. The purpose of Chorten is to contain the ruins of Buddha and other Lama.
- A Chorten with a ruin of a holy person is called Gdussrten
- The head Lama in a monastery is known as Khanpo
- The second and third lama in command in a monastery are known as Uzat and Gaygo.
- Tabo, Dhankar, Kye monasteries are supposed to have been built by Rin –Chen –Jang-Po. He was also famous as the Ratanbhadra, was a great Mahalochava (Great Translator). Ratanbhadra established 108 Monasteries in West Tibet Spiti and Kinnaur area during his lifetime.he was born at Laha-lun (Kaza) in the year of 958AD.The nine shrines located in Tabo monastery complex are
The temple of enlightening God (Tug –Lha-Khang). It is an assembly hall (Du-Khang) where the image of Virochana is located. Virochana is one of the five spiritual sons of Adi Buddha
The Golden Temple (Ser-Khang)
The mystic temple or the Initiation Temple (Dkyilkhor-Khang)
The Bodhisattva Maitreya Temple (Byams-Pa –Chen –Po-Lha –Khang
The Temple of Dromto(Brom-ston Lha-Khang)
The chamber of picture Treasures (Zal-ma)
The largest Temple of Dromton (Brom –Ston Lha-Khang)
The Mahakala Vajra Bhairva Temple (Gon Khang) 9. The White Temple(Karabyum Lha-Khang
Suggested Reading – Water Resources of Himachal Pradesh